…Today was a very special day, we got to enjoy two  meals prepared with care. LOL.
First, there were the tuna melts with the stir-fried asparagus and now this: CHEESEBURGER PIE!
Hubbs went grocery shopping and got ground beef on sale. Half went into the freezer. We [do] love Mexican food a lot and I had to dig into my recipe books to steer away from our typical enchiladas. I remembered from my Babycenter days that a girl had shared a cheeseburger pie recipe. I searched my folders on mine and Hubby’s computers, but couldn’t find it. [I have a recipe folder from those days, the Moroccan chicken comes from there]. Since it was nowhere to be found, I had to Google it…
The search brought up many, many different kinds of versions of it, including ones with potatoes, but I finally found one that was similar to the one I remembered. We didn’t have cheddar cheese so a white pizza cheese had to do. I’ll put my changes in these […]!
Cheeseburger Pie by Becky Gaconnet/Allrecipes.com
- 1 (9 inch) pie shell [Hubby helped and made from scratch, Ooo it was delish]
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion [Red onion]
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper [Didn’t have any]
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce [
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs, seasoned [Didn’t use, didn’t need it]
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese [White, shredded pizza cheese]
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk [Lactose-free]
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce [Just realized I didn’t make a ‘garnish sauce’]
- 1/2 cup cocktail sauce [Ewwww, no thanks… plus looks like I missed the whole ‘garnish sauce’ thing]
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Crumble ground beef into a large skillet. Saute over medium heat 1 minute, then add onion and green pepper. Continue to saute until onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Mix in 1/2 cup tomato sauce, bread crumbs, and seasoning salt. Spoon mixture into pastry shell.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cheese, egg, milk, Worcestershire sauce, and white pepper. Spread mixture over meat filling. Cover edges of crust with strips of aluminum foil. [Ran out of foil, which was fine, because the pie crust had already been in the over for about 10 mins]
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes, until topping is puffy and lightly browned. Allow to set 10 to 15 minutes before serving. Make garnish sauce by mixing together 1/2 cup tomato sauce and cocktail sauce. Garnish each slice of pie with a spoonful of sauce.