Soup is the best food! I get hungry just thinking about this soup… Enjoy!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is someone else’s recipe – I added and omitted some!
• 1 onion, chopped (I used two smallish red onions)
• 3 cloves garlic, minced (6 cloves, thank you very much)
• 1 tablespoon olive oil (and a tad more)
• 2 teaspoons chili powder (lime chili powder works too when you have nothing else)
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• 1 boxes crushed tomatoes (used two)
• 1 chicken bullion (a cube into let’s a say… 2 cups of water)
• 1 1/4 cups water (don’t be bound to measurements like this, do you like a thick stew or a brothy soup?)
• 1 cup whole corn kernels, cooked (2 for us)
• 1 cup white hominy (skipped this)
• 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chile peppers (got one fresh green chili and one fresh red chili… spicy)
• 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (2 please and organic)
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
• 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
• crushed tortilla chips
• sliced avocado (didn’t have any)
• shredded Monterey Jack cheese
• chopped green onions
1. In a medium stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft. Stir in chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, broth, and water. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Stir in corn, hominy, chiles, beans, cilantro, and chicken. Simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Ladle soup into individual serving bowls, and top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, and chopped green onion.
Fall Image via hercampus.com